bibliographic decontrol

the kids will have their seitan

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Moroccan food

I'm a little behind, because of my trip. I'm also going to make the pho and post it here, eventually.


I was a little worried about the sweet potato, which had been sitting out in my very warm kitchen for about a day. It felt very warm, and moist, almost as though it were sweating.


Next I cut up the zucchini, which was nice and cold.

I threw that together in a wok, along with 4 or 5 cloves of garlic (my only variation on the recipe, which just called for 1 or 2).
The peppers were a lovely colour.

I added all the spices together into the water I hadn't used yet, and mixed the chickpeas and peppers in with the sweet potato and zucchini. I didn't actually take "finished" pictures of it, but it looked good, I swear.

Unlike everybody else (I think?), I added the raisins to the couscous. I was a little skeptical, having once had a traumatic experience involving dried apricots in some sort of North African dish, but reasoned that since the raisins were in the couscous and not the stew, it should be fine.
I actually really liked the raisins in the couscous. I think that they added a really nice flavour, and I'm glad that I didn't leave them out.

I served the thing to some friends, along with some homemade peppermint iced tea, and now I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger mishka said...

I'm glad the recipe worked out for you. I wish I like raisins in savoury things... really, I'm just not big on biting into something sweet when I'm having a stew or something. That includes sweet potato, which I'm not tonnes fond of. But in the sake of expanding my cooking experience, I will try to be open minded :)

8:29 AM  
Blogger stagflation said...

Basically, I was a little worried about that too. At first I assumed that the raisins were actually in the stew, before I read the recipe. And as I mentioned, I've had awful experience with dried apricots (essentially, like giant raisins, right?) in stew.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think it's the juiciness of the raisins once cooked (rather than the sweetness) that throws me off.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home