bibliographic decontrol

the kids will have their seitan

Friday, July 21, 2006

Joking about violence against women in order to sell gum

I noticed this ad a while ago, and the fact that it has apparently been up for a while is puzzling. I don't think that you need to have a degree in gender studies, or consider yourself to be "politically correct" to find this really, really offensive. I don't even know what the possibly non-offensive take on this ad could be.


I went on to the website (so, I guess the ad is effective?), and kind of expected that maybe there would be some sort of explanation as to why I should lighten up and "get" the ad. But no, they want me to sign up in order to upload my own video to the site.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Excel: consider yourself boycotted. I mean grrlcotted. No possible irony or humour there, and not a desired result of boyfriends or gum. WTF??

1:20 PM  
Blogger stagflation said...

Lizzie suggested it was actually aimed at a boy who might be flirting with a girl, and I guess that is the non-offensive implication of the ad. But the fact remains, it definitely isn't a leap to get the implication of "abuse" from the ad.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home